Happy New Year !

It is customary at this time of year to write lists of resolutions or predictions of what the future new year holds ! I thought I would start with a few possible trends for this year....and certainly a few themes, but only one that I will be following in my own garden.
Whilst we are all being told that this years Chelsea Flower Show is all about the poppy and wild flowers, in particular the corn cockle...following on with the theme of the last few years around wild flower meadows...this, like so many 'fashions' in horticulture translates badly to the suburban gardener with an average plot ! Indeed, whilst the fashion for stunning drifts of perennials in the style of Oudolf et al are truly spectacular...they are difficult to adapt to the wider use of your average gardener or should I say the majority of gardeners ! Though the potential for 'Green Walls' has me planning a few new projects! Indeed the return to a more formal style of gardening is also gathering pace and is tempting many, including myself, as we all fondle the pages of the nursery catalogues and sort our planting for this forthcoming year !
However my prediction for this year is a simple one...that the suburban gardener will be thinking more about his own space...his own little plot both front and back and will be planting more perennials yes...but more shrubs...creating a broader environment for wildlife and insects and creating a longer seasonality...whether this be in a cottage style...formal style..or modern naturalist style will remain one for individual choice ! But an awareness of the true environmental impact of our spaces and of good horticultural practice will prevail....sorry if this disappoints but fashions come and go but true horticulture will always prevail and I am digging out my trusted 'Adam the Gardener'...given to me as a young boy by my gardening grandfather !
Like cooking...it is a return to the very basic skills in gardening that will excite and encourage both new and old gardeners and get them excited about their own plots...and like the renaissance that has happened with baking for example...it is this excitement that will translate into a resurgence in interest in gardening and encourage people to use their own spaces and get growing once again !

Comments

Popular Posts